Sunday, October 13, 2013

Make your Own... Rachel McAdams' Notebook Bathing Suit


Every once in a while, I get emails asking if I have any sewing patterns that would make a bathing suit like the one worn by Rachel McAdams in The Notebook. For those of you not familiar with the movie, it is cinematic perfection, and so are the clothes!

I always have the same answer  (YES!) and I finally decided that I would put together a post to share with you as well, in case you decide you'd like to look this 1940's beach chic too!

The bathing suit in question is this lovely but modest two-piece number below in rich red with a basket weave print at the top:


And her fella isn't too bad either...

And yes, I do have the perfect bathing suit pattern for it. It was so close that I went ahead and re-did the graphics to match!


Depew #1002 Bathing Suit Pattern

The bathing suit comes in both one and two piece versions with a shorts lining underneath.
Right now the pattern is only available in a 36" bust, but it also comes with a free copy of my pattern grading e-book so that you can easily re-size it if you need to.

But what about fabrics? Many 1940's bathing suits called for rayon jersey (Lycra not being around yet) and fabric.com has a pretty good selection to get a close copy, including their stretch rayon jersey knit in red.


But what about the print? You might have better luck shopping for fabric on Etsy. Here are a few great prints:

Vintage polyester print.
Dahlia cotton print.
Chevron Moda Print.
And last but not least, if you want to be decked out from head to toe, there's even a turban pattern that you can make from leftover scraps!


Depew #1014 Turban Pattern
Now if only I could get my husband to dress like Ryan Gosling did in the movie...

4 comments:

  1. OMG! Your hubby looks so similar to Ryan Gosling in his uniform! heh

    Thanks for sharing the pattern & fabric choices. Those fabrics on etsy look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I've always wanted a 40's style swimsuit. You must swoon everyday with that husband! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.ตัดสูท

    ReplyDelete